Pregnant Women Need 50,000 Dietary Calories To Carry A ChildWomen Health

May 27, 2024 19:55
Pregnant Women Need 50,000 Dietary Calories To Carry A Child

(Image source from:

Have you ever considered the amount of energy required by a woman during pregnancy? A recent research study has revealed fascinating information about the energy requirements of pregnant women. According to Australian scientists, a pregnant woman needs around 50,000 nutritional calories over the course of nine months. Eating a balanced diet is critical for a successful pregnancy. The fetus inside the mother's womb grows rapidly and derives nourishment from her. As a result, the mother must receive all of the vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, amino acids, and energy she requires at the beginning of pregnancy. Therefore, it is essential to maintain a well-balanced diet while being mindful of the calories required for the baby the pregnant woman is carrying. "Almost 50,000 dietary calories are required for a human pregnancy that lasts nine months, according to Australian researchers. The study's findings, cited in the report, are equivalent to about 50 pints of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream and significantly more than the researchers anticipated."

Researchers were surprised to find that 81 different species had energy requirements higher than expected. One major factor affecting energy expenditure is an animal's size, with larger animals needing significantly more energy to reproduce. For instance, while microscopic rotifers require just a fraction of a calorie to create one offspring, a white-tailed deer needs over 100,000 calories to give birth to a fawn. Metabolism also plays a role, as warm-blooded mammals use three times as much energy as cold-blooded animals of the same size. A recent study by evolutionary biologist Dustin Marshall and his team revealed that only 4 percent of energy expenditure during pregnancy is used to develop a baby's tissues, while the remaining 96 percent is used by the mother's own body.

If you enjoyed this Post, Sign up for Newsletter

(And get daily dose of political, entertainment news straight to your inbox)

Rate This Article
(0 votes)
Tagged Under :
Pregnant Women  Healthy Diet