(Image source from: Protein Punch Punjabi Rajma Recipe})
Punjabi Rajma Recipe or Rajma masala is often made in Punjabi households. In this popular North Indian dish, boiled red kidney beans are simmered in spicy onion-tomato gravy.
Ingredients needed for Punjabi Rajma Recipe
Dried Rajma: ¾ cups or 1 15.5oz can
Bay leaf: 1
Onions: ½ cup finely chopped
Oil: 2 tablespoons
Garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
Ginger paste: 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
Red chili powder: 1 ½ teaspoons
Cumin powder: 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
Tomatoes: 2 medium, pureed
Garam masala powder: ½ teaspoon
Salt: to taste
Punjabi Rajma – preparation method
1. Wash rajma, soak for minimum 8 hours and pressure cook the seeds.
2. Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
3. Add bay leaf and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Add chopped onions and sprinkle some salt. Cook till they turn light brown.
5. Add ginger and garlic paste. Saute for a minute.
6. Add tomato puree. Let it cook till oil begins to separate. Keep stirring intermittently.
7. Add spice powders (Turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and garam masala). Mix well and cook for a minute.
8. Add Boiled rajma along with its water. Keep simmer for 5 minutes. Add water or adjust cook time for desired thickness.