(Image source from: thirstyfortea.com)
Want to bake a cake but make it interesting this time? Then try baking the rainbow cake and surprise your guests. You will be shocked yet thrilled on how easy it is to make this recipe at home with just a few recipes and a disciplined procedure. Looking at the cake, they will think it is a plain vanilla cut. But they will be surprised to cut open and see a beautiful layer of rainbow colors flowing down. Not only will this cake look surprisingly amazing but also taste delicious.
The ingredients you will need to make this cake include:
- 2 Vanilla Cake Mix
- Drinking water - 2 cups
- Vegetable oil- 1 cup
- 6 eggs
- 2 packages, preferably Betty Crocker food colors- red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 bag or 2 pounds of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of milk.
- Heat your oven to about 350 degree Fahrenheit. Spray 3 rounds of the cake pans with cooking spray to grease up the pan.
- Take a large bowl to fill in most of your ingredients to make the batter. Beat the cake mix, add 2 cups of water, 2 cups oil, and the 6 eggs unto the bowl. Mix well for 2 minutes vigorously.
- Take 6 bowls of the same size and lubricate it with butter so that once the cakes are baked in the pan, you can remove the cakes easily without breaking them.
- Now divide the batter evenly into 6 small bowls which should be of the same size.
- Now you add the food coloring. You add red in one bowl, orange in one, yellow in one, blue in one, blue in one and purple in one bowl.
- If you do not have all the necessary colors, you can take a separate bowl and mix the colors to form your desired color. For example, if you do not find orange food coloring, you can add red and yellow to a bowl and stir till it turns orange and so on.
- Refrigerate 3 bowls until they are ready for baking. Meanwhile keep the remaining three colors outside and let them settle. You will need to cool them for 15 minutes, One that is over you can switch the places of the three colors with the other three colored bowls.
- It is advised that you bake only 3 cakes at once. If you bake more than 3 cakes, there are chances that the heat will not spread properly and your cakes wont get baked properly.
- Bake the cake pans for 18 to 20 minutes after removing from the fridge. You can check if the cake is baked by lightly touching the middle of the cake. If it is moist, let it bake for longer. If your finger springs, then your cake is baked. You can take your cakes outside and place them outside on the counter to cool for around 10 minutes. Once they cool, you can remove them from the bowls.
- Removing the cakes from the bowls is the tricky part and should be done delicately. Start with removing the purple cake as you would want to place it at the end, followed by the blue layer, the green layer,the yellow layer, the orange layer and finally, the red layer.
- Stack them up on top of each other delicately.
- Now you ill prepare the vanilla spread which you will add to the cake to hide the colors on the outside.
- Take another large bowl. Add the butter and mix until it is liquid. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Beat the mix until it turns into a smooth frost. Beat the mix until it is light and fluffy. The texture should be almost similar to whipped cream but not as tough.
- This step is optional: trim the edges of the different colored caked to make them look proportionate and neat. Now spread the frosting on the top and at the side of the layers, completely covering the colors. You will have to seal the colors with the frosting to show the surprise of the rainbow cake.
- Once you finish adding the vanilla frosting, leave the cake for around 5 minutes to settle.
- It is important that you be gentle while adding the frosting as you would not want to damage any layers of the cake.
- This step is optional: You can add different colors to your rainbow cake if you like, including black, pink or any color you find available.We have chosen these colors as these are the standard colors to prepare a rainbow cake.
- You can also switch up the cake by adding your won colors to the batter. You can customize the cake with any color you like, depending on the person’s or your interest.
- Tip for baking the rainbow cake: If you want to create dark colors, add baking cocoa to each batter. This will make the colors more dark, if that is the output you desire for your cake.
- Important tip: It is very important that the layers of the cake be of the same size if you want to surprise your guests with the rainbow outcome.
- You can also add some extra ingredients on the top layer of the cake, after you add the vanilla icing, such as sprinkles, choco chips, edible toys, fruits, or anything possible.
- This step is however optional and only for aesthetics and presentation.
- If you want to change the icing and add something other than vanilla, all you have to do is add chocolate in the icing mix while preparing it or any other icing flavour you choose to add to the mix. This must be done during the preparation of the icing however. You can even mix match different icing flavors such as vanilla and mint together or vanilla and chocolate together.
- You can experiment with the flavors and colors as much as you want as long as you are following the standard procedure when it comes to baking the cake.
And that is all for you to enjoy and serve your delicious mouth watering and aesthetic rainbow cake.
By Meena Atmakuri